Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Weekly Non-Food News

I recently re-located to Minnesota, after spending 2 years of hell with my last job. I have settled in to the area in record time, seen how I am working literally half of the hours I was at my last job. There is actually a lot to do in a hundred mile radius of where I live. For example, a few days ago I finally saw mc chris!


If you have never heard of mc chris, he is a rapper with a really high voice that does songs about Star Wars, video games, being a nerd, etc. I know that is not the best way to sell him, but he is hilarious. He has done a lot of work for shows on Adult Swim, and has voiced characters on several of their shows (i.e. MC Pee Pants on Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Hesh on Sealab 2021). He played a sold-out show at a tiny room in the back of a larger venue. There were no more than 200 people there, so it was very up-close and personal. I found it amusing that he was wearing a Tyrion Lannister shirt. (more on the pure awesomeness that is know as Game of Thrones in a later post!)

He had a laptop set up on a table behind him, open to iTunes. He would hit play on a track and then do his thing without live musicians or a DJ or anything. He had a very dedicated crowd, including myself, that knew every word to every song. His stand-up between songs was pretty funny also. The opening song was kind of a surprise/non-surprise for me, "I Want Candy" from ATHF. When he did his biggest hit, "Fett's Vette", he rapped over the instrumentals from "Another One Bites the Dust". It worked, but I was pretty surprised that he didn't stick to the original score since he is most known for this song.

As far as the rest of the set, he did "The Tussin", "Hoodie Ninja", "Pizza Butt", "Emo Party", "Drinkin Blunts", "Jelly Inside", "Nerd Cave", Popcorn Frog", "Hijack", among others, and closed with "White Kids Love Hip Hop", which I found fitting. The other artists at the show didn't really do anything for me (sorry Adam WarRock and Mega Ran), but MC Lars was pretty funny. Overall, I would most definitely pay $16 for this show again.

A couple of days later, a colleague and I decided to check out the fall fashion show in downtown Rochester.

First of all, I am about as far from a fashionista as you can get. Results of attempting to put on make-up and style my hair often result in poked eyes and burns. Somehow I missed the becoming feminine part of growing up. Not that I truly mind. I prefer to decorate myself with tattoos anyway. So how the hell did I end up at some fashion show? A co-worker and I were sitting the break room one day and we saw a style week/fall fashion thing advertised in the paper. We are both new to the area, and it was something to do that was local and only $12. And it came with the promise of a goody bag.

It wasn't too bad of a time except that it was FREAKING FREEZING OUTSIDE. Seriously, less than a week before I was downtown on the same block, wearing a short dress and drinking cocktails on a rooftop.


Now I am wearing a coat and pants, and missing my long underwear! My colleague had a cocktail that was barely drinkable, and even after holding it in her hand for almost 2 hours, the ice didn't even melt!
There were some models painted like statues who were visibly shivering, since they were wearing little more than metallic paint.


Don't ask what that creepy photographer was taking a picture of.

The fashion show lasted almost an hour, but it went by pretty quickly. All in all, it probably wasn't worth the $12. Maybe if it wasn't freezing and the goody bags were better. We got some lame coupons, peppermints, and Swedish Fish.


My companion and I are pretty cynical, so I guess we got some good laughs at some of the outfits and models. But seriously, we can make fun of people in the comfort of the mall for free.


No comments:

Post a Comment