Monday, May 21, 2012

Scrambled

I've haven't been home very much lately, as usual, so here is a post to catch up on a few things.

I tried yet another very vegan-friendly restaurant in the cities.. This one was on "Eat Street" in downtown Minneapolis; The Bad Waitress. It was a neat little corner-diner establishment where you ordered your food at the counter and they brought it to you. I got excited when I saw their vegan scramble, and opted for asparagus and red onions as my allotted veggie add-ins. It also came with hash browns and whole wheat toast.


Now I am a little biased when it comes to tofu scrambles because mine is the best in the world (I'm so modest), but this sucked pretty hard. It consisted of big dry lumps of tofu, barely warmed on the grill and dusted with a very small amount of tumeric. I really couldn't taste any other seasonings. Besides my onions, which came out as regular yellow onions, not red. Luckily there was a bottle of Chalula on the table, which I liberally drenched my plate with. Except the toast...but that doesn't mean I didn't think about it.

To prove that my scrambles are far superior to the mess above, I have a picture of an epic veggie scramble I made for breakfast on Mother's Day. Behold:


My scrambled tofu doesn't always have this many vegetables in it, but my mom's fridge is always stocked. It's like a mini farmer's market at my disposal. This time I tossed in some onions, carrots, broccoli, and spinach. Adding lots of veggies helps stretch the dish out, along with making it more of a meal.

We also discovered something amazing on Mother's Day. Grilled avocados.


Which make some super amazing guacamole.


This was incredible. I almost want to get a grill just so I can make this every day. The avocados were warm and oozy with just enough char and smokey flavor from the grill. My mom likes to make her guac with tomatoes, onions, and lots of fresh lime juice, which is all fine by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment