Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hot and Sour Soup: A Recipe Review

My sister and I have been obsessed with our crock pots lately. I've have had one for a while (it hadn't seen much use until recently) and my sister just got one. We have been emailing and texting each other for weeks detailing the contents of our crocks and what we are planning to make in them. That led to to come across this recipe. It pretty much had me at "frozen peas". For some reason, I am obsessed with them. I actually just scored a 5 pound bag at Sam's Club. Yep, that obsessed.

This soup turned out to be super tasty, but mine did not look nearly as pretty as the one on the recipe page. Thank goodness my sister is mailing me back my camera charger, because these iPhone pictures suck even more than my usual photography.


This soup turned out to be super tasty, but mine did not look nearly as pretty as the one on the recipe page. Don't let this bland soupscape fool you, there was plenty of flavor here. The only things I tweaked with this recipe was double the liquid, double the peas, quadruple the garlic, and use 100% shitake mushrooms, as opposed to a mixture of shitake and button mushrooms. Shitakes rock the house, and I know where to buy them almost as cheap as the much less exciting button shrooms. I also only cooked this on low for about 4 hours. Actually, if you don't have a crock pot, I am pretty sure you can just toss this all on your stove and have it ready as soon as the mushrooms are cooked. The most time consuming part is chopping everything up.

I ate almost half of this soup last night, and I enjoyed another bowl tonight with some baby carrots, and "omelets" I made with some okara leftover from my soy milk making adventures.

I'm full.

No comments:

Post a Comment