Monday, February 20, 2012

Nearly-Instant Mexican Style Soup

I returned to my house after a week-long business trip two days ago. Tomorrow, I am flying to Alaska to visit my sister. The day after I get back, I am off on another business trip. I am fighting the urge to scream. Especially when a prolonged absence from my job means I come back to my desk looking like this:

Thanks guys! You shouldn't have!

Traveling this much is stressing me out, and causing me to miss out on one of my favorite things in the world: grocery shopping for produce. For the past couple of days, I have been surviving on things in my freezer. This is actually a good thing, because my freezer is hella full at the moment, but I miss cooking! Tonight I decided that I had to do something. I needed to eat dinner and a lunch before leaving tomorrow anyway. So here is what I came up with:

Not pictured: garlic. But you already know I add that to everything anyway.

Once again, it definitely pays to have a well-stocked pantry! These humble ingredients came together to make one satisfying, nutritious, tasty meal! Here is a breakdown of the magic that went on in my kitchen. You could easily dump just about anything into this meal.

Ingredients:

  • One jar of salsa. Whatever you have on hand/already open in your fridge. I happened to have some Newman's Own black bean and corn salsa. I recently bought a few jars of this brand because it was on sale for $2.50. Normally it is almost twice as much
  • One can of refried beans. I got the idea to add this from this recipe. The Casa Mamita brand from Aldi are the best in the world. I'm not kidding. And unlike most refried beans, they are fat free.
  • One can of diced tomatoes. I chose to add it with the juice because my salsa was not very tomato-heavy. I buy cans of these at Sam's Club for around $6 an 8 pack. They are great to have on hand to dump in pretty much anything.
  • Jarred jalepenos. I buy these at the dollar store.
  • One small white onion. Brought to you by Aldi.
Method:
Basically, I just dumped everything in a pot, then added diced onion, jalpenos, and crushed garlic. It was a little thick, so I dumped in about a cup of water. No additional salt or spices were needed. Stir everything up and bring to a boil. How long depends on how cooked you want your onions. I didn't boil mine very long because I love to stir raw onions into my soup anyway.
Even before it was done, I was lamenting over the fact that I was out of vegan sour cream, but this soup honestly didn't need it. The refried beans made it super creamy without it. I did have some tortilla strips on hand to jazz things up a bit.

Not the sexiest looking soup, but holy guacamole it was delicious! It made made 3 large servings and was entirely fat free! (If you don't add any tortilla strips). It cost around $5 to make, and the entire batch came in at under 700 calories. I am glad that I do not have any long business meetings tomorrow though, tee hee hee.

Speaking of business meetings, being a vegan stuck in Wisconsin for a week is not fun! I made sure to book a hotel room with a refrigerator and microwave, and I packed plenty of Clif bars. I did manage pretty well with catered lunches after my dietary needs came up. My company's corporate office building actually had a great catering service and an on-site cafe with a huge salad bar, so I fared pretty well. Too well maybe. I ate heaps of blueberries, raspberries, and pineapple off of our daily breakfast fruit tray, and they even started bringing in custom meals for me. Like this pizza:


There was also salad every day. And one afternoon they brought in a giant bowl of freshly made salsa and a trough of fresh tortilla chips. I was totally expecting to starve all week, but quite the opposite occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment